Do you want to help build a world-class institution from the region, experience the thrill of being part of a high-growth technology company, and improve people’s lives?
There is only one way to build an awesome institution: to attract exceptionally talented people who are aligned with the mission of the organisation and make them partners in success. At Careem, our mission is to simplify & improve the lives of people, initially through solutions that make transportation in the region reliable, and over time, through disruptions in payments and logistics. In the process, we want to build an organisation that inspires and become a world-class institution from the region.
Founded in 2012 by former entrepreneurs and McKinsey alums, Careem is the MENA regions leading ride-hailing service and newest Tech Unicorn. With 30% monthly growth, we now operate in 47 cities across 11 countries and host over 6million users. With our recent Series D funding success, we are positioned on the cusp of significant scale and well on target to deliver our goal of creating one million jobs in the region by 2018. Read more about us here and here.
ABOUT THE ROLE
The purpose of the Data Scientist role is to improve and optimise the customer and Captain (driver) experience using data analysis and system/algorithm development. This is a role that requires deep mathematical and/or statistical knowledge in combination with a good business understanding. In addition of being a member of the data science team you will also work closely with tech, product and operations teams to deliver key insights that will drive changes across the organisation. Key responsibilities include:
- Driving initiatives to understanding of captain behaviour, using insights to implement algorithms and models to optimise ETAs (low and accurate), as well as for captain utilisation and efficiency
- Driving initiatives to understand and model customer behaviour using insights to implement algorithms and models to optimise customer experience i.e ensuring reliability (being there on time) and efficiency (minimal waiting time)
- Drive and implement hypotheses to make visions become reality
The ideal candidate will have a passionate commitment to improving the lives of people, an insane focus on excellence and customer service, and a strong alignment with our core values: being bold, focused, agile and collaborative. Additional qualifications include:
- Ability to get hands-on in a complex operational environment
- Ability to manage multiple tasks and work to tight deadlines
- Good commercial awareness and be able to demonstrate your competence in analysing, reporting and efficiently responding to data
- Strong analytical skills (passionate about maths and/or statistics) and an ability to develop algorithms and self learning systems
- Target driven and have good numerical and analytical skills with an excellent eye for detail working with qualitative and quantitative data
- Good technical proficiency, literacy skills and a competent computer user
- Strong problem-solving skills and ability to swiftly trouble-shoot
- Experience working within the technology industry/start-up environment is highly desirable
- Educated to BS/MS level (or equivalent) within a subject relevant to the position such as Mathematical statistics/Actuarial sciences
- Experience with Data/Event Analytics and/or Data Illustration tools would be an asset
We offer an attractive total compensation package, with emphasis on equity compensation, excellent health benefits and monthly Careem credits. You will have a unique opportunity to join a fast-growing company on the ground floor and shape its direction.